Thursday, August 23, 2007

It's Summertime!






The other night the artist watched as I recorded a guitar track into GarageBand on the computer. I went downstairs and when I came back up I found him as you see him in the photo above; headphones on (plug dangling at his feet) and piano in lap. Grant had somehow figured out how to start recording and had added a track to my song. We sat together and listened and I was treated to a brilliant piece of low-fi avant-pop.

"He hopes that summer never ends, and he hopes that summer never ends", he sings over a manic toy piano and soft acoustic guitar melody. The artist pushes the structure of modern songwriting to its limits. After the guitar ends, the piano continues for several minutes before fading into a moment of silence and then the sound of a balloon being blown up for several more minutes, which is in turn followed by 2 minutes of dead silence and then a short conversation with the artist's teddy bear.

6 comments:

bex said...

this just blew my mind. let me know when he releases his first EP

todd said...

i am very impressed, grant. great work. i wish i could get the same raw energy in my work that seems to come so effortlessly to you.

Josh said...

Grant, Tio is going to hug and kiss you into unconsciousness because that was so awesome!

brooklyn said...

love the climactic rock-out before he slowly ends. no denying, he's got mega talent!

john said...

I searched all the lyric finders but couldn't find this one anywhere - how about posting them?

Tyler says tell Grant he and Johnny listened and liked it.

Mark Elliot said...

I'm pretty sure I could hear this playing over some ones ipod when I was on the bus the other day. So it's probably safe to say that Grant has a pretty big SF fan base.

Maybe next summer we'll see a string of "sold out" shows at the Fillmore.